Dr. Md. Aliur Rahman
Email - email@example.com
Ph.D. on RTI [1st Ph.D. Degree on the Right to Information Act in Bangladesh]; Title of Thesis: “Journalists’ Access to Information: Pre and Post-Situation Analysis of the Right to Information Act”
Fellow of IIJ (Berlin) Germany
M. Phil. in Mass Communication
B.A (Hons.) & M. A in Mass Communication and Journalism
– Successfully completed a two-month-long training course for the trainers (ToT) on ‘Improving Training Concepts’ under the auspices of the International Institute for Journalism (IIJ) in Berlin, Germany;
– Completed the Senior Certificate Course in Military Science from the University of Dhaka;
– Attended the Training of Trainers (ToT) workshop on Gender and Media, organized by PLAGE-II in Dhaka;
– Attended the Pilot Testing ToT workshop on “Gender and Media Guidebook for Trainers” organized by PLAGE-II in Dhaka;
– Participated in the Training of Trainers (ToT) workshop on Avian Influenza and Pandemic Influenza Awareness and Preparedness, organized by Unicef in Dhaka;
– Attended the ‘Training of Trainers (ToT)’ organized by Prothom Alo;
– Participated in the workshop on “Introduction to Film Studies” conducted by Father Gaston Roberge, organized by Bangladesh Federation of Film Societies and Dept. of Mass Communication and Journalism of Dhaka University;
– Completed Basic Office Management Course organized by the Press Institute of Bangladesh;
– Completed two-week Advance Computer Training organized by the Press Institute of Bangladesh;
– Attended the training workshop on Project Formulation and Processing in the Prescribed Proforma, organized by the Academy for Planning and Development in Dhaka;
– Completed the English Language Proficiency Course, organized by the Academy for Planning and Development in Dhaka;
– Attended the training workshop on Writing Books, Translating and Editing, organized by National Book Center in Dhaka;
– Completed basic photography course from the Dhaka University Photographic Society.
– Working as the Chairperson of the Department of Journalism and Media Communication (JMC), Green University of Bangladesh since 15 January 2019.
– 20-year professional experiences in the field of mass communication and journalism training where about 11 years with the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) as Trainer and Senior Trainer. Conducted more than one hundred Training Workshops, Dialogues and Seminars across the country. Worked as the Chief and Faculty (Academic-1) of Diploma Curriculum Management Committee of the Post-graduate Diploma Course in Journalism conducted by PIB under the National University of Bangladesh.
– Worked as the Editor-in-Charge of the Tathyaseba Barta Sangstha (TSB), a training and research-based organization working for promoting “Citizen Journalism” by developing the capacity of 10,000 Info-leaders of 4,547 Union Digital Centers across the country under the `TrinomulerJannoTathyajanala’ program of ICT Division of the Government of Bangladesh.
– Performed as the Content Development Specialist with the `Social Marketing of SEIP’ (Skills for Employment Investment Program) under the Finance Division of the Ministry of Finance, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and developed a Social Marketing Strategy and Implementation Plan for SEIP.
– Worked for the Daily ProthomAlo, as the Reviewer and Trainer where Dr. Rahman prepared the daily review report of the ProthomAlo, prepared Training Modules, developed Editorial Guidelines and individual Job descriptions of Journalists, conducted the Needs Assessment study and coordinated overall research and training activities of ProthomAloboth at central and district levels.
– Worked as Part-time Faculty in the Department of Film and Media of Stamford University Bangladesh from January 2006 to December 2011.
– Worked as the Chief Consultant for the ‘Correspondence Diploma Course in Journalism’ with Bangladesh Institute of Journalism and Electronic Media (BIJEM).
– Worked as the Consultant with Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC) and developed a training module on “Program and News Production” for the 14 Community Radio Stations staff and other volunteers under the project titled, Empowering Communities: Strengthening and Capacity Building of the Community Radio in Bangladesh supported by the UNICEF Bangladesh.
– Worked at the International Institute of Media & E-Journalism (IIMEJ) as `Principal’.
– Worked for the Institute of Communication and e-Learning (ICeL) as the Executive Director.
– ‘Editorial Advisor’ of the Bangladesh Institute of Media Development (BIMD) since September 2009.
–Conducted the ‘Media Monitoring Study on the 10th Parliamentary Election’ as Team Leader, supported by The International Republican Institute – IRI (jointly conducted by the Free Election Movement Association (FEMA) and Institute of Innovative Media &EJournalism (IIMEJ).
– Worked as the Communication Specialist for Information, Education & Communication (IEC) intervention of the World Bank-supported Local Governance Support Project (LGSP-2).
– Worked as a ‘Communication (IEC) Consultant’ with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and looked after overall communication activities of Local Governance Support Project-Learning and Innovation Component (LGSP-LIC) from 15th November 2009 to 31st December 2010(UNDP ID Number: 0000010215).
– Provided services as the ‘Publication and Communication Expert’ under the World Bank-supported project “Strengthening Regional Cooperation for Wildlife Protection Project” for a few weeks in July 2013.
– Provided services as an IEC Consultant for the E-Zone Limited to develop IEC materials for the Local Governance Support Project-Learning and Innovation Component (LGSP-LIC) from April 2011 to April 2012.
– Worked as an IEC Consultant under the UNDP-UNCDF supported UPGP Project and Developed Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Strategy and Implementation/Action Plan for Union Parishad Governance Project.
– Worked as a ‘Consultant-Editor’ with the Canadian CIDA sponsored Project “Policy Leadership and Advocacy for Gender Equality (PLAGE-II) from 7th October 2009 through June 2010.
– Worked as Coordinator with the ‘CIDA’ sponsored project (2006-2009) Policy Leadership and Advocacy for Gender Equality (PLAGE-II) and looked after its PIB training programs for media professionals.
– Worked as the Deputy Project Director of the unicef-assisted project (2006-2010) “Advocacy and Communication for Children and Women (3rd phase)” in collaboration with the Ministry of Information, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
– Worked as the Deputy Project Director in the unicef-assisted project (2001-2006) “Advocacy and Communication for Children and Women (2nd phase)” in collaboration with the Ministry of Information, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
– Worked as Coordinator of the sub-project (2003-2005) “Advocacy on Reproductive Health and Gender Issues through Department of Mass Communication (2nd phase)” with UNFPA.
– Worked as the ‘Focal Point’ of the unicef-assisted project (1996-2001) “Communication for Achieving Bangladesh’s Goals for Children and Women (1st phase)” under the Ministry of Information.
– Worked as an ‘Associate Editor’ of the ‘BJR’ (BANGLADESH JOURNALISM REVIEW’.
– Worked as the ‘Editor-in Charge’ of the monthly magazine BishwabidyaloyPorikroma (University Roundup).
– Worked as an ‘Assistant Editor’ of the monthly magazine University Campus.
– Worked as the ‘Correspondent’ of the News and Feature Agency MIRROR- News & Feature Service.
– Monitored the National Election 1996 as an election observer for Bangladesh ManobadhikarSamonnoyParishad – BMSP (Coordinating Council for Human Rights in Bangladesh, CCHRB).
1. Academic Book on Journalism – SANGBADIKATA: DHARONA O KOWSHAL (Journalism: Concepts and Techniques), Joint Publication by Palal Prokashoni and Journalism & Information Research Unique Foundation 2017 (Extended Edition).
2. Book on Journalism: Tothyer Swadhinata o Swadhin Sangbadikata (Freedom of Information & Independent Journalism) Published by Palal Prokashoni in 2013
3. Book on Journalism: SANGBADIKATA: DHARONA O KOWSHAL (Journalism: Concepts and Techniques), Published by Shrabon Prokashani in 2007 (1st Edition).
4. Tathya Adhikarer Shwroop Shawndhane (Searching the Nature of Right to Information), Co-Author Robaet Ferdous, Published by Mass-line Media Centre (MMC) with the Assistance of Manusher Jonno Foundation in 2008.
5. Tathyajog, A Training Manual on Citizen Journalism, Published by ‘Trinomuler Tathyajanala’ Programme, ICT Division & Tathyaseba Barta Sangstha (TSB), January 2016.
6. Protibedon Lekher Sohoj Path, Published by`Trinomuler Janno Tathyajanala’ programme, ICT Division & Tathyaseba Barta Sangstha (TSB), January 2016.
7. Feature Lekher Sohoj Path, Published by ‘Trinomuler Janno Tathyajanala’ programme, ICT Division & Tathyaseba Barta Sangstha (TSB), January 2016.
8. Gender Songbedee Sangbad Editing, (Gender Sensitive Editing Manual) Edited Book, Co-Author Shirajud Dahar Khan, Published by Bangladesh Nari Sangbadik Kendra (BNSK) in 2009.
9. Gender-O-Gonomaddyam Proshikhown Nirdeshikha(Gender and Media Training Guide Book), Jointly edited book with Professor Giti Ara Nasrin et.al, Published by the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB), 2009.
10. A book of poems: “NIJERE HARAYE KHUNJI” (Searching the Lost Me), Published by Prokirti Media & Communication, 2003.
A Short List of Published Articles:
a) Journalists’ Access to Information: Pre-and Post-Situation Analysis of the Right to Information Act, Published in the book – Tathya Odhikar : Katipay Gabesana (‘Right to Information: Some Selected Research), Edited by Prof. Dr. Golam Rahman, Chief Election Commissioner (CIC), Published by the Information Commission, Bangladesh. Archaeology Bhaban (2nd Floor), F-4/A, Agargaon Administrative Area, Dhaka,1207, First Published September 2015, Page No. 01-95.
b) ‘Right to Information Act in Bangladesh: National and Global Scenario’, Bangladesh: Reflections on the Right to Information Act, 2009, Edited by Prof. Dr. Khurshida Begum, Published by the Information Commission, Bangladesh. Archaeology Bhaban (2nd Floor), F-4/A, Agargaon Administrative Area, Dhaka,1207, First Published September 2015, Page No. 90-119.
c) ‘Symbiosis of Right to Information and Freedom of the Press’, Bangladesh: Reflections on the Right to Information Act, 2009, Edited by Prof. Dr. Khurshida Begum, Published by the Information Commission, Bangladesh. Archaeology Bhaban (2nd Floor), F-4/A, Agargaon Administrative Area, Dhaka,1207, First Published September 2015.
d) Disaster Journalism: Nature, Trends, Challenges and Expectations, Durjog Babosthapona Journal (Disaster Management Journal) of the Department of Disaster Management, Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur, Vol. 1, No. 1, March 2018.
e) Right to Information: Strengthening the Local Government through Citizen’s Participation, PROSHIKHYAN, Vol. 21, No. 2, July-December 2013
f) ‘Right to Information, Freedom of the Press & Journalism for Peace’, Feedback, Issue-01, year-01, 2013
g) ‘Broadcasting Media in Bangladesh: Twenty-First Century’s Challenge’, Ganomadhyom O Janoshamaj (A book of research articles which has been selected as an academic textbook for at least three prominent public universities of Bangladesh) edited by Dr. Giti Ara Nasrin et. al., Srabon Prokashani, 2002.
h) ‘Web Madhyom -O- Online Sangbadikata (Web Media And Online Journalism)’ Communica (Journal of Communication & Media, published by BCDJC), Vol-1, Issue-3, May-June, 2009.
i) ‘Sangbad Maddyamey Gender Protikkrity -O- Sangbadpottrer Gender Pata (Gender Portrait of News Media And Newspaper’s Gender Page)’, ‘BJR’,(BANGLADESH JOURNALISM REVIEW, A BCDJC Publication, Vol-4, No-1,April, 2008.
j) ‘The Newspapers of the Liberation War published From the Mujib-Nagar And Muktanchal’, NIRIKSHA, Vol-165, December 2007.
k) ‘Freedom of the Mass Media and Mass People’s Right to Information’, NIRIKSHA, Vol-166, January 2008.
l) ‘Role of Mass Media Extending Continuous Education’, The human rights journal ‘PRANTOJON’, published by Mass-line Media Centre (MMC), 1st issue, November 2001.
m) ‘Portrayal of Women in the Media of Bangladesh’, RIGHT (A Journal for Development and Research Activists), Samata, Vol- 1, December 2002.
n) ‘Assessment of Training Needs for Journalists’, ‘NIRIKSHA’, Vol: 98-99, May-August, 2000.
o) ‘Swadhin Bangla Betar in the War of Liberation of Bangladesh’, NIRIKSHA, Vol- 91, March-April, 1999.
p) The Newspaper and Periodicals of the Liberation War, NIRIKSHA, Vol- 76, July-August, 1996.
q) ‘Public Relations in Bangladesh: Twenty-First Century’s Challenge’, NIRIKSHA, Vol- 131, February 2005.
r) ‘Why do we need a gender equality page?’, The Daily Star, The Prothom Alo & The Daily Ittefaq (Gender Portrait, a special supplement), May 1, 2007.
s) ‘Why need the National Integrated Communication Policy?’, Daily Amader Shomoy, Year- 2, Vol- 61-62, 7-8 September 2005.
t) ‘Will be included the subject of mass communication in the syllabus of secondary and higher secondary level’?, Daily Amader Shomoy, Year- 1, Vol- 363, 22 July 2005.
u) ‘Journalism Ethics, Laws and Code of Conduct’, NIRIKSHA, Vol- 118, January 2004.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
– Chairperson (Honorary), Journalism and Information Research Unique Foundation (JIRUF)
– President (Honorary), International Institute of Media & E-Journalism (IIMEJ)
– Life Member and Executive Committee Member, Dhaka University Mass Communication & Journalism Alumni Association (DUMCJAA)
– Life Member, Dhaka University Alumni Association (DUAA)
– Life member, Dhaka University Registered Graduates
– Life Member, Bangladesh Society for Training and Development (BSTD)
– Founder Member, Prokirti Media and Communication, Dhaka, Bangladesh
– Fellow of International Institute for Journalism (IIJ), Berlin, Germany
– Member, Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC) in Singapore
– Associate Member, Freedom and Peace Foundation in Canada
– Governing Body Member, Post-graduate Diploma Course in Journalism, conducted by PIB under National University, from 2004 to 2006 and 2008-2009
– Former Member of the Curriculum Development Committee of Masters and Post-graduate Diploma program in Journalism under National University
– Former Member of the Curriculum Development Committee of Bachelor of Arts & Master’s program in Film & Media program of the Stamford University Bangladesh
– Former Human Rights Advisor of Lions Club of Dhaka, Jahangirnagar Unity
– President of ‘Dhaka Ahsania Mission Drug Prevention and Control Program’ (AMIK), Mohsin Hall Branch of the University of Dhaka, from January 1993 to December 1997
– Election Observer (monitoring radio and television), Coordinating Council for Human Rights in Bangladesh (CCHRB) in the National Parliamentary Election, 1996
– Executive Director of Global Student Centre (GSC), Azimpur, Dhaka from September 1994 to December 1995
– Cadet (Cadet Sergeant) of Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC), Ramna Regiment of the University of Dhaka from 1989 to 1992
– Life member, Morelganj Kalyan Samity in Dhaka.