Prof. Dr. Farhana Helal Mehtab
Dean, Faculty of Law
Email - email@example.com
A Short Bio about Professor Dr. Farhana Helal Mehtab
Professor Dr. Farhana Helal Mehtab is the Dean, Faculty of Law, Green University of Bangladesh (GUB). Before joining GUB, she served as the Associate Dean, Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences at Daffodil International University (DIU).
Dr. Farhana obtained her Bachelor of Laws (LLB, Hons) and Master of Laws (LLM) degrees from the Department of Law, University of Dhaka (DU). She received a Master of Education degree from the Institute of Education & Research (IER), DU. Combining her core subjects, i.e., Law & Education, she continued further study/research. She received her PhD titled “Constitutional Responsibility of the Government of Bangladesh for Implementing Compulsory Primary Education: Issues & Challenges” from University of Dhaka.
Dr. Farhana always emphasizes family values and basic school education. She feels proud of her Alma mater – Holy Cross School & College – where she completed her Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC).
Dr. Farhana started her professional life as a practicing lawyer in Dhaka. She served as a faculty member at the Asian Institute of Management & Information Technology (AIMIT), and Neural Institute of Science & Technology (NIMIT). She served as the Chairperson at the Department of Law & Human Rights, University of Development Alternative (UODA) from April 2008 to December 2010. From January 2011 to April 2012, she was in charge of the Department of Law, Uttara University. In May 2012, she joined DIU as Associate Professor and Head of the Department of Law. Dr. Farhana was the Syndicate Member of the Daffodil International University from 2012 to 2021.
Having Master degrees in Law, English Literature and Education, Dr. Farhana believes in diversity in learning. Her teaching areas are Legal Research Methodology, Human Rights Law, Criminology, Legal English (English for Law), Mooting & Debating, Gender & Law, International Environmental Law, International Organization, Refugee Law, Administrative Law, Good Governance and Research Monograph.
Dr. Farhana has organized and presided over many national and international seminars. She has published a good number of publications on her area of expertise. She has written 4 books titled “Terrorism and Counter Terrorism: Legal Issues, Challenges and Responses”, “An Introduction to ADR Mechanism: Bangladesh Perspective”, “Human Trafficking: International and Bangladesh Perspective”, and “Law & Legal English”.
Prof. Dr. Farhana is a committee member of the Asian Association of Law Professors (AALP), Nepal. She is also an honourable member of the International Advisory Board of the International Academy of the Belt and Road, China. She received the first-ever collaboration training on arbitration from Bangladesh International Arbitration Centre (BIAC) and International Law Institute (ILI), Washington DC, in June 2013. As the Bangladeshi delegate and research scholar, she attended the ‘Third International Forum on the Belt and Road (B&R) Initiative’ in Hong Kong and China. She received the International Academy of the Belt and Road Fellowship in 2016.
Dr. Farhana received awards from the Vice-Chancellor of DU for her literary & cultural activities in Dhaka University Central Students’ Union (DUCSU) in 1991. Dr Farhana has a special knack for debating and mooting due to being a debater and mooter in student life. She was the Founder & Chief Advisor of Daffodil Moot Court Society (DMCS) and received the Best Moderator Award from Daffodil International University Debating Club (DIUDC).
Professor Dr. Farhana Helal Mehtab is the Syndicate Member of the Green University of Bangladesh.
Dr. Farhana has recently been appointed as a Visiting Law Faculty at the Chandigarh University, Mohali, Punjab, India.
Professor & Dean
January 2022- till Date
Faculty of Law
Green University of Bangladesh
Professor & Associate Dean
Faculty of Humanities and Social Science
Daffodil International University
Associate Professor & Head
Department of Law
Daffodil International University
Associate Professor and in-charge of the Department
January 2011- April 2012
Department of Law
Associate Professor and Chairperson
April 2008- December 2010
Department of Law & Human Rights
University of Development Alternative (UODA)
Assistant Professor and Coordinator
March 2005 – March 2008
Department of Law & Human Rights, UODA
(Worked as part time faculty)
Green University of Bangladesh
English Language Faculty
October 2001 – December 2001 (part time)
British American Language Institute, ICMA Bhabon
(A Corporate Member of the British Council)
January 2000 – February 2005
Neural Institute of Science & Technology
(B.Sc. & BBA Program, Curriculum of National University, Bangladesh)
January 2000 – February 2005
Neural Institute of Management & Information Technology
(B.Sc. Program of NCC, UK)
Worked as a practicing junior lawyer
Senior: Advocate Sigma Huda
Chancery Chamber Motijheel, Dhaka.
Enrollment as an advocate
Bar Council, Dhaka
Research Paper/ Publication
- “Regulatory framework for the disposal and management of personal protective equipment
(PPE) during COVID-19 in Bangladesh” has been accepted in the “Ecology, Environment
and Conservation” (February 2021 Supplement Issue). The journal is covered in Web of
Science (ISI, Thomson Reuters, USA.) and Scopus indexed.
- “Robots in the Neighborhood: Application and Criminalization of the Artificial Intelligence
in Education” has been accepted in the upcoming book, “Technologies, Artificial
Intelligence and the Future of Learning Post-Covid-19: The Crucial Role of International
Accreditation”, of the book series “Studies in Computational Intelligence”. The book will
be published under the imprint of Springer in the last quarter of 2021.
- “Right To Commit Suicide In India: Drawing the Comparative Picture on a Global Canvas
with Recommendation for the Policy Makers”, has been accepted in the Cogent Social
Sciences. Working on the revised manuscript. The journal is Scopus indexed.
- “The Rise of Artificial Integrated Intelligence in Business and Firm Performance:
Criminalization of Artificial Intelligence and Regulatory Challenges”, has been accepted in
the SN Business & Economics. The revised paper has been submitted.
- Noise Pollution, its Causes and Impacts on Urban Life: Bangladesh Context. Pollution
Research, Pollution Research (Accepted for publication in the September 2021 Issue).
Paper accepted link:
- Declaration of Rivers as Legal Persons: A Comparative Study between Bangladesh and
Other Countries – a chapter of the book “Environmental Sustainability and Development:
Recent Trends and Issues” published by School of Law, IMS Unison University, Dehradun.
Published on the occasion of 71st Constitution Day of India, 26 November 2020.
- Decoding Children’s Charity Bangladesh (CCB) Foundation v Government of Bangladesh:
The First Ever Public Law Compensation Case in Bangladesh and the Way Forward. BiLD
Law Journal, Volume IV, Issue II, October 2019
ISSN 2523-1618 (Online Version), ISSN 2518-6523 (Print Version), ISSN 2523-1626 (CDROM Version) http://bildbd.com/bild-law-journal-volume-iv-issue-ii/
- Prevention of Human Trafficking for Protection of Human Rights: Bangladesh Perspective,
RAB Special Journal, 13th publication, March 28, 2017
- National Trial Of International Crimes: Evaluating The International Crimes Tribunals In
Bangladesh; Bangladesh Institute of Law and International Affairs, BILIA Journal; Vol 16,
No 2, December, 2016
- Analyzing the position of Human Rights in Vision 2021 of the People’s Republic of
Bangladesh; RAB special journal, 12th publication, March 28, 2016
- “Identifying the Problems of Bangladesh Police & Rapid Action Battalion &
Recommending Way Out” (DIU Journal of Humanities & Social Science, Vol 2 July 2014,
- “Evaluating Activities of Rapid Action Battalion in Improving Law & Order in Bangladesh”
published in “BAB Yearly Journal 2014”on March 26, 2014
- “Current Practices of Learner-Centered Participatory Teaching-Learning Methods in Private
Universities of Bangladesh: An Exploratory Study” published in International Conference on
Tertiary Education publication of DIU, January 19, 2012
- Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement in Bangladesh: An Overview and Determination of the
Extent of Its Becoming TRIPS-Compliant (Dhaka University Law Journal, Studies Part-F, Vol.
21, No. 2, December 2010
- Critically Looking at the Just International Environmental Order from Developing
Countries’ Perspective (Chittagong University, Journal of Law, Vol. II, 2006, published in
- Law in the Real World: Revisiting the Existing Framework of Legal Education in
Bangladesh(Journal of Law and Development, publication of the Law Dev, Bangladesh, July
- Reflection of the Constitutional Provisions on the Education Commissions Reports of
Bangladesh (Thesis paper, Master of Education, Institute of Education and Research, Dhaka
University, Session 2008-2009)
- Leadership and Leadership Poems: A Collaborative Approach for Education (Dhaka
University Journal of Education & Research, Teacher’s World, Vol.33-34, December 2008
& June 2009, ISSN 0040-0521
- Juvenile Justice System of USA and Bangladesh: A Comparative Study of Diversion and
Alternative Measures and Hard Realities of Juvenile Justice System in Bangladesh (Dhaka
University Studies Part-F, Vol. 19, No. 1 June 2008
- Gender Discrimination and Its Impact on Social Development: Special Focus on Bangladesh,
UODA Studies Part-II, April 2007, Vol-1, No-1, ISSN No. 1996-7667
- An Attempt to Focus on Gender Differences in Scientific Perspective, UODA Studies, a scientific
journal, December 2006, Vol.-2, No.-2, ISSN No. 1817-4825
- An over-view of Gender Discrimination: Bangladesh perspective and some related issues
(Keynote Paper Presentation, UODA Seminar, 2006)
- Emergency Inclusion of English Medium Education System in the Rural Areas of Bangladesh
Course Paper Presentation, British Council, 2001
- “Terrorism and Counter Terrorism: Legal Issues, Challenges and Responses”
June, 2015, ISBN: 978-984-90671-8-4 from CCB Foundation
- An Introduction to ADR Mechanism: Bangladesh Perspective
June 2015, Shams Publication
- “Human Trafficking: International and Bangladesh Perspective”
July, 2014, ISBN: 978-984-33-5461-7 from CCB Foundation
- “LAW & LEGAL ENGLISH”
September 2012, ISBN-978-984-33-5349-8 from CCB Foundation
Reviewed the book ‘Theoretical and Applied Criminology’, Author: Sheikh Hafizur Rahman, published by ‘Palal Prokashoni’ and Empowerment through Law of the Common People (ELCOP) in June 2008
- Member of the Editorial Board of DIU Journal of Humanities & Social Science, ISSN No. 2305-0136
- Member of the Editorial Board of UODA Studies Part-II, April 2007, Vol-1, No-1, ISSN No. 1996-7667
Number of Articles has been published in ‘Prothom Alo’, ‘Shomokal’, ‘Jugantor’, ‘Daily Ittefaq’ ‘Kaler Kantho’ and ‘The Daily Star’ on Law, Human Rights, Education, Environment and Economics. Some of the internet link address & published dates have been given below:
|Prothom Alo:||Shomokal:||Jugantor:||Ittefaq:||Kaler Kantho:||The Daily Star:||Dhaka Tribune:|
|(11 Articles)||(10 Articles)||(3 Articles)||(2 Articles)||(1 Article)||(3 Articles)||1 Article)|
|June 22, 2008||May 25, 2008||November 10, 2008||September 27, 2009||March 16, 2011||April 12, 2008||February 12, 2015|
|April 4, 2009||July 9, 2008||June 8, 2009||July 4, 2010||May 20, 2010|
|April 27, 2009||October 16, 2008||March 23, 2010||May 29, 2013|
|August 19, 2009||December 8, 2008|
|October 1, 2009||June 2, 2009|
|August 28, 2011||June 8, 2009|
|December 29, 2011||June 21, 2009|
|May 30, 2012||August 23, 2009|
|June 30, 2012||September 28, 2009|
|September 30, 2012||December 10, 2012|
- Article “Constitutional Provisions on Education & National Education Policy 2009” published in special feature of ‘Sikkha Songbad’ in November 2009 issue.
- Article “Caretaker Government System in Bangladesh” published in the debate magazine, a publication of DIU National Debate Festival 2012.
- The Daily Star’s monthly publication ‘Forum’ “Violence against Women: About Shifting the Burden of Proof and Ensuring Perpetrators’ Punishment” Link: http://www.thedailystar.net/forum/2013/March/violence.htm
- Article “Violent Crimes against Women; Offender has to prove he is innocent” published in “The Daily Star” on May 29, 2013 Link: http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/news/offender-has-to-prove-he-is-innocent/
Academic Paper Work on Education
- Feasibility Study for Introducing ‘Basic Law’ as a compulsory subject at Higher Secondary Level Education in Bangladesh (February, 2009)
- Developing Awareness to Restrain Child Marriage among the People of Mohammadpur Geneva Camp (May, 2009)
- Developing Awareness of Women’s Basic Rights through Non Formal Education (September 2009)
Awards & Activities in student life
- Awarded for the Intensive Course on Community Health & Family Health under a project of World Vision in 1993
- Released an audiotape ‘Nisshangaata’ on recitation in ‘February Boi Mela’ in 1993
- Certificate in 2nd National Debate Workshop organized by BUET Debating Club in 1992
- Dhaka University Hall Competition and DUCSU Competition from 1991 to 1994 Prizes for Elocution (Bangla and English) Extempore Speech Debate Fiction One act performance Mime
- Master of Ceremony in DUCSU Literacy competition in 1991 and Rokeya Hall competition in 1991, 1992 and 1994
- Runner up in Rokeya Hall Literacy Competition, in 1992
- Special Prize from Vice-Chancellor for Cultural Activities in Dhaka University in 1991
- Awarded First prize in Debate and Public Speaking organized by World Vision on World Health Day, 1991
- Master of the Ceremony organized by World Vision, Dhaka as a part of the EPI Motivation Program in 1989
- Interpreter of the Director of Student Affairs (Sister Joseph Mary) of Holy Cross College from 1987-1988
- Participated in Bangladesh Television’s Quiz Competition ‘Dhiman’ from Holy Cross College in 1987
- Participated in Radio Bangladesh Dhaka, as a program presenter, script writer, debater and interviewer from 1983-1987 in school & college level programs
- Committee member of School Magazine ‘Mondira’ from 1983-1986
- Prizes on different cultural activities from 1980-1988; special prizes in recitation & public speaking, 2nd prize on recitation in Dhaka zone in 1980
Responsibilities as Research Supervisor for the LLM students of the Research Monograph course from 2010 to till date.
Conference Abroad/International Conference
- Attended the 7th International Conference on the New Haven School of Jurisprudence, organized by the Guanghua Law School of Zhejiang University, in collaboration with the Yale Law School (Connecticut, United States) and Tulane Law School (New Orleans, United States) from December, 20 to 22, 2015 in Hangzhou, China.
- Attended “Borneo Youth Leadership Conference” organized by Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia from August 4 to 8, 2014 in Miri, Malaysia.
Organized and presided over the following seminars/ workshop: (from 2012- 2017)
- Seminar & Special Discussion Session on ” Child Rights in Bangladesh: Special Focus on Right to Education” on March 15, 2018 in Milonayoton 71 (Auditorium), Daffodil International University Seminar on “Elimination of Violence Against Women and Children” on December 5, 2017 in Ashulia Campus, Daffodil International University
- 3-days long workshop on “Universal Human Values and Professional Ethics” held during 2- 4 May, 2016 at Daffodil International University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Seminar on “Legal Career: Scope and Challenges” on March 12, 2016 in DIU
- Seminar on “Let’s Help Girls Achieve their Ambitions” on March 8, 2016 in DIU
- Seminar on “Women’s Rights are Human Rights” on December 10, 2015, International Human Rights Day in DIU
- Seminar on “Literature and the discourse of Human Rights: After William Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’ ” on October 25, 2014, keynote speaker was Professor Dr. Salimullah Khan.
- Seminar on “A legal study on Nationality and Citizenship: Global and Municipal Context of Bangladesh” on June 5, 2014 in DIU
- Seminar on “Importance of Election in Democracy: Role of Youth and Students” on March, 24, 2014 where Mr. Md. Muhammed Sohul Hussain, Former Election Commissioner, Election Commission of Bangladesh was the keynote speaker.
- Seminar on “SUICIDE or MURDER; A Forensic Analyses of Hanging” on 30th June 2013 in DIU auditorium.
- Seminar on “International Human Rights Instruments on Indigenous Peoples and implementation in Bangladesh’’ on 19th March 2013 in DIU where Professor Dr. Mizanur Rahman, Chairman, National Human Rights Commission was the chief guest.
- Seminar on “Intellectual Property Law & its Role in Socioeconomic Development” on 20th October 2012 in DIU collaboration with the Department of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (DPDT), Ministry of Industries, Government of Bangladesh.
- Executive Council Member of the Asian Association of Law Professors (AALP) July 10, 2019- till date.
- Advisor of the International Advisory Board of the International Academy of the Belt and Road, Hong Kong-China 2016- till date.
- Attended a training program on “The Process of Outcome-based Education Implementation, Assessment & Evolution” conducted by Prof Dr Md Harunur Rashid, University of West Florida, USA in June 1 & 2, 2013
- Attended a four-day international training program, “Training of Trainers in Arbitration” (ToT) from June 9, 2013 to June 12, 2013 organized by Bangladesh International Arbitration Centre (BIAC) in collaboration with International Law Institute (ILI) Washington DC.
- Completed Professional Course in Business English from, British Council, Dhaka in 2001.
- Completed Degree Certificate Course in English, National University of Bangladesh in 1995-1996.
Special Responsibilities & Achievements
- Being nominated as the member of Committee of “Celebrating Mujib Borsho 2020” organized special Seminar titled: “UNCONDITIONAL LOVE: Story of Adoption of 1971 War Babies” on 14 March 2020 at the 71 Milonayoton of Daffodil Tower.
- Being the Chairperson of DIU Complaint Committee to Prevent Sexual Harassment, organized seminar and workshop in every semester for the Girl students of Daffodil International University from 2017 to 2019.
- Being the Convener, organized the biggest festival “DIUDC National Debate Festival 2016” – one month long debate festival by involving 34 public & private universities, 24 colleagues & schools from January 21, 2016 to February 13, 2016
- Organized a 15-day long program to observe Elimination of Violence against Women from November 25, 2015 to December 10, 2015 in DIU with the Ministry of Education, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Being the Convener, organized DIU Inter Department Debate Competition 2015– a three-week long competition, in October 2015
- Being the Convener of the “Independence Day Celebration Committee” (nominated by the DIU management), organized & celebrated “স্বাধীনতা তুমি” on March 26, 2015
- Convener in Project Exhibition in “Social Business Youth Convention 2013” in DIU, in June, 2013.
- Convener & the Chief Adjudicator in “DIU National Debate Festival 2012” in DIU, in October 2012.
- Worked as the nominated rapporteur in the Technical Session “Living Curricula Development” in the “International Conference on Tertiary Education: Realities & Challenges” held in DIU, in January 19-21, 2012.
- Organizer and Chief Moderator of ‘Law Debate Competition & Open Discussion 2012’ in Uttara University, in April 2012.
- Master of the 1st Convocation Ceremony of UODA, in 2007 and Presenter of the Convocation Speech on behalf of the Honorable Convocation Speaker of UODA in the 2 nd Convocation Ceremony, in 2009.
- Chief Moderator of Debate festival in ‘UODA Week’ 2007 & 2009 in University of Development Alternative.
- Doing the responsibility of adjudicating in different debate and moot court competitions of public & private universities from 2005 till date
- Worked as the program presenter in Multimedia Projection of 7 th International Convention on Students Quality Control Circles (SQCC) organized by Bangladesh Society for Total Quality Management (BSTQM) in 2004
- Awarded as Best Faculty Member in 3 consecutive years in NEURAL (B.Sc. Program of NCC, UK) in 2001, 2002, 2003
- Invited as the Honorable Speaker & Judge of the Special Debate Competition in Holy Cross School’s 50 Years Golden Jubilee in November 2001
Academic Activities (besides regular duties, during Pandemic, June 2020- December 2021)
- Working as the nominated member of the “COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Committee”
in DIU from September 2021-till date.
- Moderated an online discussion on “বঙ্গবন্ধুর সময়কালীন আইন ভাবনা” on August 20, 2020.
“বঙ্গবন্ধুর ভাবনায় নারীর অধিকার” August 15, 2021 on Campus TV of the Daffodil
- Attended as a guest speaker in the discussion jointly organized by the Prothom Alo &
BYLC “ধিক্ষাধবষয়ক আললাচনা অনুষ্ঠান ‘হালে ধনলয় আললাকবধেিকা’র পঞ্চম পব ি। ধবষয়: ককাধভড-১৯
সমলয় বাাংলালেলি ধবশ্বধবেযালয় পর্ িালয়র ধিক্ষা ও গলবষণার অনুিীলন, ধিখন পদ্ধধে ও অধভলর্াজলনর স্বরূপ
ধবলেষণ” August 8, 2020.
- Moderated a discussion on “Online Sexual Harassment: Legal & Psychological Aspects”
as the Chairperson, DIU Complaint Committee to Prevent Sexual Harassment, Daffodil
International University on July 16, 2020.
- Moderated a discussion on “Child Rights and their Protection during the Pandemic” on
Campus TV of the Daffodil International University on June 16, 2020.
- On World Environment Day, being invited, by Gujarat National University, attended
International Virtual Conference on Bio Diversity as a Guest Speaker and presented paper
on June 5, 2020.
- Attended webinar on “Creating, Managing & Monitoring Projects, Tasks & Other
Activities in SmartEdu” organized by the Daffodil International University on June 21,
- Organized and attended a moot workshop on oral argument as the advisor of the Daffodil
Moot Court society on June 21, 2020.
- Attended a session on “Understanding rubrics of assessment of teacher performance
prepared by DIU authorities” organized by the Daffodil International University on June
- Attended a webinar on Effective Virtual Teaching & Learning: Methodology & Best
Practices organized by the Daffodil International University on June 25, 2020.
Experience in Organizing / Attending Workshop and Seminar As Language Lecturer (from 1996 – 2004) & as Law Student (from 1992 – 1995)
- Conducted & organized a Workshop titled ‘Teacher-Student Development’ in an English medium school in 1998 and organized a workshop titled ‘Current trends in Education’ in 1996
- Worked as Program presenter in the National Professional Workshop for Lawyer’s on behalf of the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of Bangladesh and United Nation Development Program, Dhaka in 1995
- Organized & conducted a Seminar on ‘Blasphemy Law’ by Law Review, DU, in 1994
- Organized the ‘First Inter University Law Debate Competition’ organized by ‘Law Review’, Dhaka University in 1994.
- Introduced & organized Court Model Debate in First National Debate Festival, in 1994
- Organized the Dr. Z.I. Chowdhury Law Lecture cum workshop of Law Review on ‘Scope and Implementation of the Law of Torts in Bangladesh’ in 1993
- Organized an ‘Open Debate Workshop’ in Rokeya Hall with the co-operation of Bangladesh Debate Federation in 1992
- Was selected as a student participant in the seminar ‘A Review of Public Interest Litigation in South Asia’ in October 1992, organized by ‘Ain O Shalish Kendra